Transportation and Access
Boone County is strategically located in relation to major expanding markets for goods, services and suppliers. It is close to major employment centers, both to the east and west, and is served by interstates, rail and air service. Boone County is at the heart of the midwestern industrial belt, only minutes from Rockford and an hour from Chicago. Further, it is only a few hours by drive to any of the Midwest major cities, such as Cleveland, Detroit, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Minneapolis and Des Moines.
I-90 Regional City Corridor
- Boone County is the midpoint to the I-90 Regional City. A region anchored by the cities of Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison, and Rockford. Our Regional City is the fourth largest urban constellation in the US, home to 17 million people.
- The I-90 Regional City connects top public and private-sector research in Madison and Chicago to centers of incubation, product development and manufacturing throughout the corridor
- Ideally criss-crossed by I-90 and I-39 with close proximity to I-43 and I-88.
Air Transport Network
- 1 hour of O’Hare International Airport the nation’s fastest growing airport.
- 1 ½ hours of Chicago Midway and General Mitchell International Airport in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- 15 minutes east of the Chicago-Rockford International Airport: home to the largest regional parcel-sorting facility in the UPS system – the only facility of its type that handles coast-to-coast cargo and the 24th largest cargo airport in the nation.
- Several Industrial sites in Boone County have access to Union Pacific Rail. Sites are also thirty miles from the new Union Pacific Global III Intermodal Facility.
Chicago Rockford International Airport
The Chicago Rockford International Airport (RFD) is located 85 miles northwest of Chicago and encompasses over 3,000 acres. The airport is home to 30 industrial tenants and the largest regional parcel-sorting facility in the UPS system – the only facility of its type that handles coast-to-coast cargo. Our airport has progressively evolved from a general aviation facility to a dynamic commercial service airport. RFD is presently ranked as the 24th largest cargo airport in the nation and the 224th largest passenger airport. Currently, Allegiant Air offers non-stop flights to Orlando,Las Vegas, and Clearwater/St. Pete (Tampa Bay Area); United Airlines flies non-stop to Denver and to over 100 connecting destinations and Apple Vacations offers seasonal service to Cancun. RFD averages between 21-25 flights a week.